Friday, March 19, 2010

14 things.

It has been quite awhile, hasn’t it? My apologies for the absence. I’ve been… living life. Working, doing a lot of cooking and running, spending time with people I love, slowly s-l-o-w-l-y learning how to balance things in this full-time-working-woman life. I’m learning quite a bit… they seem like boring lessons sometimes, but I think they’re important ones. Anyway. I wanted to take a few moments of my lunch break to finally end this too-long hiatus with the following reflections…

I’ve been in a bit of a slump these past few weeks, which has manifested itself in several different emotional states as I rollercoaster from week to week. Last night, I was sharing with a dear friend the following predicament, which has been one of numerous recurrent themes during the aforementioned slump: I feel completely unable to live fully in the present while also planning for the future. I just cannot seem to manage both at once. My friend replied by sharing that in these times, when the present seems not-that-exciting, she stops herself to remember all she has to be thankful for. It is just so easy to forget.

As I walked out into a gray-but-pleasant morning earlier today and crossed my front lawn, feeling not as excited as I wanted to be about beginning another day’s work, I urged myself into reflection on all of the beauty and goodness around me. It helped. Later this morning, an hour or so into work, I pulled out a piece of paper and started scribbling a list, quickly covering the small scrap with the marks of my pen, the marks of undeserved blessing and a response of thanksgiving.

I have a lot to be thankful for. So this is me, being thankful.

14 things of many:

the peace of morning.
warmer weather.
the blessed green grass peaking out.
my own little place with a window to the street (peering out while eating my oatmeal).
a wonderful coffee shop/bakery just up the road (just up the road! from where I live!).
a café au lait on a weary morning.
the luxury of being able to purchase unnecessary things like coffee, particularly on weary mornings.
a job. a roof. clean water. money to pay the bills.
the fake tree in my office (I may not have a window, but I do have plastic vegetation).
lovely, caring, wise people in my life. technology to communicate with them even when they are far away.
stability to rest in while dreaming about the future.
possibility, opportunity, hope.
another morning.
another day.

May you also be thankful today. Peace, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment